student life bloomington

Two cases of mumps confirmed at IU

News-filler

IU issued a public safety advisory Thursday for two confirmed cases of mumps. 

The university, Monroe County Health Department and Indiana State Department of Health are working to notify people who could have been in contact with the infected students, who are roommates, according to a press release. 

Symptoms can appear 12 to 25 days after infection and include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite and swollen salivary glands under the ears. 

People with mumps can be infectious two days before or five days after symptoms appear, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Mumps spreads through saliva or mucus from the mouth, nose or throat, according to the Protect IU website. This can happen through coughing, sneezing, sharing cups or utensils and touching objects without washing hands.

Some people might not have symptoms. There is a 1 to 3 percent chance of serious issues from mumps infections, according to the release. 

For uncomplicated cases, most people recover within a few weeks.

IU recommends two doses of the Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine. Washing hands with soap and water, sneezing into an elbow or tissue and not sharing drinks, food and utensils can also help prevent infection, according to the advisory. 

If someone thinks they have mumps, they should stay home, avoid others and contact the IU Health Center or a primary-care provider as soon as possible.