bloomington

Hepatitis A reported at Yumble restaurant

yumble.jpg

Those who ate at Yumble on Jan. 24 should be vaccinated for hepatitis A, the Monroe County Health Department announced Friday.

A food handler at the Asian fusion restaurant, located at 211 N. Walnut St., was infected with the virus. The health department said it is rare for customers to also be infected, but anyone who consumed food or drink at the restaurant on Jan. 24 should receive the vaccination by Feb. 7.

The Monroe County Public Health Clinic is offering free vaccinations between 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Feb. 4 at 333 E. Miller Drive. The health department recommends those who cannot make it reach out to their medical provider.

The virus spreads through contaminated food or drinks.

In addition to vaccinations, anyone exposed should monitor his or her health for up to 50 days after exposure because the infection can present itself in this time. The health clinic recommends anyone exposed to frequently wash his or her hands and try to stay at home. 

Symptoms of hepatitis A include loss of appetite, nausea, fatigue, fever, stomach pain, irregular bowel movements or yellowing of the skin or eyes. 

The organization said Indiana, among other states, is facing a hepatitis A outbreak. Two previous cases of hepatitis A were found in Bloomington recently. The Shalom Community Center had a case in December and Buffalo Wild Wings had one in January

Yumble was cleaned and has since reopened, the press release said.