bloomington

Buffalo Wild Wings employee diagnosed with Hepatitis A

cahepoutbreak011019

A Monroe County Health Department press release Thursday stated that anyone who recently ate at one Bloomington Buffalo Wild Wings should get vaccinated for hepatitis A as soon as possible. 

An employee at Buffalo Wild Wings at 1350 W. Bloomfield Road was diagnosed with a case of hepatitis A. The employee was still working while sick from Jan. 2 to 6 according to an investigation.

Anyone exposed should receive the vaccination no more than 14 days after coming into contact with the disease. The vaccinations consist of two injections six months apart.

Hepatitis A vaccinations are available at the Monroe County Public Health Clinic at 333 E. Miller Drive. They are scheduled Jan. 11 for Buffalo Wild Wings employees, followed by 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.,  Jan. 14, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 15 and 8:15 to 11:15 a.m. Jan. 16. 

The health department urged anyone who was exposed to the virus but cannot attend the vaccination clinics to contact their medical provider. 

The health department also said anyone exposed to food or drink from Buffalo Wild Wings any time between Jan. 2 and 6 should monitor their health for up to 50 days after the exposure, frequently wash their hands and stay at home to prevent spreading the disease.

Symptoms of the viral infection include loss of appetite, nausea, fatigue, fever, stomach pain, irregular bowel movements or yellowing of the skin or eyes, according to the press release.

The infection can be spread by sharing contaminated objects, food or drinks.

The Monroe County Health Department said Buffalo Wild Wings was thoroughly disinfected Wednesday and was approved to reopen. The restaurant is in contact with health officials to prevent any new cases of the disease.

The health department opened a hotline at 812-349-2997 to answer any questions about the hepatitis case.