Feature film 'Palace,' shot in Indiana, to screen at Buskirk-Chumley Theater

entpalace022619.jpg

“Palace,” a feature film written and directed by Bloomington resident Andrew Paul Davis, will screen at 7:30 p.m. March 10 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater in its Bloomington premiere. 

The screening is 94 minutes with a 15 minute talkback following. Tickets are $10. 

The film follows the intertwining story of an alt-right auto mechanic, a retired widower and a lesbian Christian college student at a bar in rural Indiana. 

Davis said in a 2017 interview with the Indiana Daily Student that he is not trying to make a political movie but rather make use of the power of storytelling in its ability to spark empathy in people. 

“My job is to tell a story and have complex characters," he said. "The goal is to create paradoxes of people because that’s what we are." 

The film was shot entirely in Indiana. About 15 percent was shot in Bloomington, where post-production was also finished. The movie’s first premiere was at the Indianapolis Heartland International Film Festival in October. 

“Palace” was one of 73 films running for the Hometown Heroes Rally, a national film competition where the winners receive a chance of pitching production rights of their movie to the Duplass Brothers. 

The film successfully crowdfunded its $7,500 goal and made it within the top 10 most-followed campaigns of the 73 competing films.