arts performances

Cincinnati-based band The Tillers to perform at the Bishop Bar this Saturday

enttillers022719.JPG

Folk and bluegrass band The Tillers will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bishop Bar. 

The group will perform songs from a mixture of all of its albums, including its recently released LP “The Tillers,” which dropped last March. 

The band is comprised of vocalist and guitarist Sean Geil, vocalist and banjo player Mike Oberst, upright bassist Aaron Geil and fiddler Joe Macheret. 

Founding members Sean Geil and Oberst formed the band in 2007 when they were both involved in other music groups. Geil said they were getting tired of playing in their current bands and would get together to play the music they really enjoyed. Eventually, their work together became their main focus. 

“It was kind of an organic thing that happened,” Geil said. 

Aaron Geil, Sean’s older brother, joined the group eight years ago and Macheret joined four years later.

Although the band has strong folk and bluegrass elements, Sean Geil said many other types of music, including classic and punk rock, have had a heavy influence in their sound.

“It’s hard to put one label on it,” Geil said. “Or even two.”

The Tillers perform consistently two times a year in Bloomington, and they said every time they try to make the show something audience members haven't seen before. Geil said people should attend the concert Saturday because the band pours their passion into every performance.

“It’s gonna be a high-energy, soulful show,” Geil said. “If people are into that, they should have a good time.”

Tickets for this event are $15.