news   |   bloomington

Bloomington City Council to hear last part of controversial transportation plan

cacouncil012319

City Council meets Jan. 23 to discuss a new transportation plan for Bloomington. The transportation plan is an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan, which is the city’s latest long-term plan for land use and development. Samuel Arvin Buy Photos

The Bloomington City Council will hear the last part of the city’s controversial transportation plan Wednesday night. 

The council has spent the last two weeks hearing the plan created by city-hired firm Toole Design Group. The council is scheduled to vote on it Feb. 27.

The transportation plan is an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan, which is the city’s latest long-term plan for land use and development. The transportation plan proposes 67 new street connections, more path and lane options for bikers and pedestrians, potential widening of some streets and further study on how to improve heavily trafficked streets for bikers and pedestrians.

So far, criticism has focused on concerns about traffic patterns and changes of street widths.

“It could be improved dramatically,” council member Dave Rollo said at his constituents meeting Saturday morning.

The council will have the choice to approve the plan as it is, amend the plan or reject the plan altogether. Rejection would send the the plan back to the consultants to improve before the council considers it again.

“It’s divorced from reality,” Bloomington resident Peter Dorfman said at the Jan. 30 meeting.

More in News