arts performances

Big names in comedy to perform at the Comedy Attic this month

entcomedy020619 2.jpg

What do you get when a baking show host, twin brothers and a nationally-touring stand-up comedian walk into a comedy club? The line-up for this month at the Comedy Attic.

The first comic to take the stage this month is Marcella Arguello, who will perform at 8 p.m. Feb. 7 and 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Feb 8-9. Last April, Arguello was named by MSN.com as one of the top female comedians working in film and television today.

“She is sort of, in my opinion, someone who is just ready to become a household name any second,” owner Jared Thompson said. “There’s something that screams to me that she is gonna be a star.” 

Nicole Byer, known for her appearances in MTV’s “Girl Code” and the Netflix baking show “Nailed It!” will perform Valentine’s Day weekend, Feb. 14-16, at the Comedy Attic. Named as a Time Out LA comic to watch in 2015, Byers has been featured in publications such as Cosmopolitan, Elle and Ebony. 

On Feb. 21, a group of five comedians pieced together by Thompson, will record a live show for SiriusXM radio. The group includes returning local comedian and two-time Bloomington Comedy Fest winner David Britton and nationally touring stand-up comedian Sally Brooks.

Following the recording, Brooks will stick around from Feb. 22-23 for a comedy show of her own.

Twins Keith and Kenny Lucas, who perform as the Lucas Bros, will finish off the month performing Feb 28 – March 2. The duo has an hour stand-up special on Netflix, “The Lucas Bros: On Drugs,” and often make appearances on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

Thompson said he works carefully each month to make sure that the lineup is a great mix of different styles of comedy and personalities so as to keep his audience entertained. 

“We make sure when we’re booking that we are not only booking the same types of comedians over and over and over again,” Thompson said. “We are trying to have as much diversity as we can within each fragment of time.”