sports women's basketball

Three things to know for IU women's basketball versus No. 11 Maryland

Spiuwbbpreview12619.JPG

After losing back-to-back games for the first time this season, IU women’s basketball bounced back with a win Thursday against Michigan.

But the time to celebrate was short-lived, as the next match for IU could be its toughest of the season. IU welcomes No. 11 Maryland into Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall at noon Sunday.

Here are three things to know ahead of the Big Ten battle.

1. Maryland has an impressive resume

In just about every preseason poll, the Terrapins were projected to win the Big Ten. Despite a tight race to the top of the conference so far, Maryland is still considered the favorite by most national media outlets.

The Terps are the highest-ranked Big Ten team in the Associated Press Top 25 and were slotted as high as No. 4 this season. 

The team’s nonconference slate includes wins at then-No. 10 University of South Carolina and in Puerto Rico against a University of Georgia team that has received AP votes.

The grind of the conference schedule has handed Maryland its only two losses of the season. However, Maryland’s blemishes have been against No. 14 Rutgers and at then-No. 17 Michigan State. 

2. The Terps guards produce inside and out

Maryland is shooting an impressive 47.1 percent from the field this season. The Terrapins are also shooting 37.2 percent from behind the arc.

The leaders for the Terps are junior guard Kaila Charles and freshman guard Taylor Mikesell.

Charles, who is averaging more than 15 points per game, does much of her work in the paint. She has only converted one of nine three-point attempts this season. 

Charles can also create difficulties on the defensive end as she averages more than a steal per game. 

In the two times the Terrapins defeated the Hoosiers last season, Charles averaged 20 points per game.

The best three-point threat for Maryland comes in the form of Mikesell. While averaging more than 15 points per game, Mikesell is shooting more than 43 percent from three. That percentage ranks 33rd in the nation.

3. Maryland’s bigs also pose a threat

While Maryland’s guards are capable scorers, they also have the luxury of going inside to their forwards.

Junior Stephanie Jones leads the way inside with an average of 13.1 points and six rebounds per game. Jones is an efficient scorer as well, shooting 61.5 percent from the field. 

Alongside her is freshman forward Shakira Austin, who averages nearly nine points per game along with 10.8 rebounds. 

The tandem has created problems for its opponents all season and has led the team to the 10th-best rebounding margin in the nation.

Jones has been a big reason Maryland is 6-0 in series history against IU. In last season’s meetings between the teams, Jones averaged 11.5 points and eight rebounds per game.