crime & courts

Sunglasses theft ends in roadblock, multiple arrests in Bloomington

Bloomington police arrested four people early Thursday morning after a 22-year-old man’s white Yves Saint Laurent sunglasses were reportedly stolen outside the Bluebird Nightclub on North Walnut Street. 

Police stopped the suspects in a roadblock at the corner of 10th and North Walnut streets, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said. He said one suspect was shot with a bean bag round, a non-lethal projectile, and all four were arrested.

The sunglasses were not recovered, Cole said.

The man reported he was outside the Bluebird when three men, Marquise Shaw, David Perry Jr. and Ryan Horton, approached him. He said Perry, 28, took his sunglasses, which the man valued at $300. 

Perry told the man he wouldn’t give the sunglasses back and the group walked toward the Taco Bell at the corner of Seventh and North Walnut streets, the man told police. He followed, asked for his sunglasses back and said he would call the police. 

Shaw, 23, and Horton, 27, hit the man in the face, Cole said. He said a witness saw Chloe Sullivan, 20, get out of the group's car in the Taco Bell parking lot and smack the man’s phone out of his hand and into the street. 

The group's silver Chevrolet SUV was pulling out of the Taco Bell parking lot when police arrived at 2:30 a.m., Cole said. Police stopped the SUV at the traffic stop. Three of those involved got out of the car one at a time, but police said Horton refused to get out. 

When Horton got out, Cole said, he was smoking a cigarette. Horton refused to drop the cigarette and would not comply with other commands.

Horton was warned if he didn’t comply he would be hit with a bean bag round, police said. Officers said Horton continued to resist, and was shot in the side with the non-lethal round. Officers said Horton refused medical treatment. 

Police found an ID and phone in the car belonging to the man whose sunglasses were taken, Cole said. He said Perry, who was accused of taking the sunglasses, was heavily intoxicated and urinated on the floor of the interview room at the police station. 

Shaw was charged with robbery. Perry was charged with robbery, battery and criminal mischief. Horton was charged with robbery, battery and resisting law enforcement and Sullivan was charged with assisting a criminal.