IU’s injury problem meets lack of effort in loss to Rutgers

spiubbsidebar13019-1

IU was a part of history Wednesday night in Piscataway, New Jersey. But the Hoosiers weren't on the good part of history. 

With a win over the Hoosiers, Rutgers strung together three consecutive Big Ten wins for the first time ever. 

The Hoosiers were beaten in nearly every statistical category. Rutgers outperformed IU in shooting percentage, 41.1 percent to 35; rebounds, 45-32, and in bench points, 19-2. 

Those stats, spearheaded by a lack of talent and a lack of effort, resulted in a 66-58 loss. IU now sits at 12-9 and 3-7 in the Big Ten this season. 

It appears IU has fallen to the lowest of lows as of late. 

Just a month ago, the Hoosiers were ranked in the Associated Press Top 25. Now, they’re in the bottom four of the conference standings. The lack of talent will continue to be a problem for Head Coach Archie Miller the rest of the season. Injuries will do that to a program. 

The Hoosiers were without junior guard Devonte Green, who was suspended for his third consecutive game due to a violation of team rules. 

Senior guard Zach McRoberts and redshirt freshman forward Race Thompson joined junior forward De’Ron Davis and freshman forward Jerome Hunter on the list of players who were either hurt or limited by injuries.

That left senior forward Evan Fitzner and freshman forwards Damezi Anderson and Jake Forrester as the main three players off the bench.

As IU’s season spirals toward its end, its injury problem has now been matched with a lack of effort. 

During Rutgers’ 22-0 run to end the first half and begin the second, IU look flustered. A consistent bottom feeder in the Big Ten made the Hoosiers look like the worst team in the conference in every aspect of the game.

However, IU finds themselves at a crossroads. There’s time to make up ground with the level of talent in the conference. But the effort starts with Miller, Morgan and Langford. 

The Hoosiers return to action Saturday at No. 6 Michigan State.