IU track and field sweeps Tennessee in first meet of 2019

IU vs TEN

The IU track and field teams dominated their first contest of 2019 against the University of Tennessee on Saturday afternoon at Gladstein Fieldhouse. 

The men topped the Volunteers 72-50, while the women won 67-55. 

It was a record-setting day for IU as four different Hoosiers set personal records. Junior Kelsey Harris and sophomore Cooper Williams set their marks in the mile with times of 4:48.99 and 4:04.55, respectively. Williams' time was the fastest in the NCAA this season. 

The other two records came in field events. In the weight throw, sophomore Princess Brinkley notched a distance of 19.69 meters, and sophomore Anna Watson finished with a height of 4.08 meters in the pole vault. Watson’s height set a meet record. 

Junior Khayla Dawson also broke a 24-year-old record in the shot put with a distance of 16.53 meters. 

Other notable first place finishes on the men’s side include senior Eric Bethea in the triple jump with a distance of 15.86 meters, freshman Rikkoi Brathwaite in the 60 meter dash with a time of 6.77 and sophomore Zubin Muncherji in the 400 meters with a time of 48.72 seconds.

The men also swept the podium in the 60 meter hurdles. Junior William Session took first followed by freshman Christian Goines, Chase Washington and Shaton Vaughn.

On the women’s side, sophomore Natalie Price crossed the finish line first in the 400 meter with a time of 54.69, the second fastest in the NCAA this season. 

Next up, the Hoosiers head to Lexington, Kentucky for the two-day Kentucky Invitational Jan. 11.