student life

1,100 returning students not able to live on campus next year with residence hall closings

Mold Moveout at McNutt

In response to the Foster and McNutt residence hall closings next school year, Residential Programs and Services will not provide on-campus housing to approximately 1,100 returning students who renewed their RPS contracts for the 2019-2020 academic year.

RPS will offer off-campus, university-managed housing fairly close to campus, according to an email sent to students. 

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said IU is contracting out three currently unnamed housing complexes to returning students. Carney said details are still being worked out and the names and locations of the complexes will be sent out to students soon.

Pricing will be comparable to or less than what students originally agreed to pay for on-campus housing, Carney said.

“We’re certainly going to be fair to everyone,” he said.

All costs, including utilities and Wi-Fi, will be included in the housing cost billed to students’ bursar accounts — just like on-campus housing.

Carney said, depending on which of the three complexes they live in, students will be able to walk, take a city or IU bus or have a shuttle service to campus.

The university is still working out how to keep Living-Learning Centers together, Carney said. According to the email, students currently living in an LLC may be able to stay with their LLC and should contact their directors for options.

According to the RPS email, housing complexes will have resident assistants living among students just like residence halls.

If a student does not wish to live in RPS-managed off-campus housing, they may get out of their contract with no penalty, Carney said.