student life

Where to get caffeine on campus

Coffee Bean

As dead weak and finals descend upon students, many turn to caffeine to stay up and get all the studying and final projects done. Between rushing to class to a study group to a test, it might be hard to find time to get to one of the off campus cafes.

Students are in luck though, because IU has many places on campus so students are bound to be able to get a cup of coffee whenever and wherever they are in desperate need of a pick-me-up. 

Freshman Annie Brown said this past week she has been coming to Starbucks in the Indiana Memorial Union almost twice a day. Her go-to drink is a venti iced skinny vanilla latte, but when she needs more caffeine she goes for a caramel iced coffee.

“I love coffee,” Brown said. “I just love the taste of it but also because I need to get work done.”  

Starbucks baristas Tanner Kase, Sava Ybarra and Rebecca Newkirk said they do see in increase in business during this time. 

“Generally people start coming in earlier and leaving way later,” Newkirk said. “It's a more academic environment.” 

Ybarra said more students are flocking there especially for the caffeine. 

“It keeps them going,” she said.

Coffee Bean
IU students wait for their beverage orders from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Dec. 2. The coffee shop is located inside the Herman B Wells Library. Alex Deryn

Herman B Wells Library Bookmarket Eatery

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m Friday.   

Goodbody Eatery 

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is open Monday through 7:30 a.m to 10 p.m. Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m Friday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 

Indiana Memorial Union

The IMU has three places to get a caffeine fix. 

Starbucks is open 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday. 

Sugar and Spice is open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. They offer Peet’s Coffee brand. 

The Circle Cafe is open 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday and 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. They offer Starbucks coffee.

Campus Cafes

Campus Cafes are located in various buildings on campus and serve either Starbucks or Hubbard & Cravens coffee.

Ballantine Hall 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.  

The Cyberinfrastructure Building 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Herman B Wells Library Commons 

Open 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday,  7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday. 

Hodge Hall

Open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Friday. 

Jacobs School of Music 

Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.  Friday. 

Jordan Hall 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.

Luddy Hall 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.

School of Public and Environmental Affairs

Open 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.

Wright School of Education 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.

William J. Godfrey Graduate and Executive Center 

Open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.