Offensive coordinator Mike DeBord retires after 37 years of coaching

iufbpressconference2.jpg

IU offensive coordinator and Muncie, Indiana, native Mike DeBord announced his retirement Sunday night after nearly four decades coaching.

"Coach (Lloyd) Carr told me many years ago I would know when it was time to retire," DeBord said per an IU athletics press release. "I didn't understand it at the time, but I do now. I am really looking forward to spending more time with my family and my grandkids."

A 37-year coaching veteran, DeBord spent the past two seasons as the associate head coach, offensive coordinator and tight ends coach for the Hoosiers. His other stops included at the collegiate level included Michigan, the University of Tennessee and Central Michigan University, where he served as head coach from 200 to 2003. 

DeBord also worked as an assistant coach for the NFL's Chicago Bears and Seattle Seahawks.

"I want to congratulate Mike DeBordon an amazing coaching career," Allen said. "I have been fortunate to know him for many years and have the utmost respect for him, firstly as a man and secondly as a coach. You won't find a more loyal, more hard-working or better individual with a bigger heart for people. It was a privilege to work alongside him the last two seasons and I wish him nothing but the very best in his retirement."

As a player, DeBord earned honorable mention All-American honors at Manchester College and was inducted into the Indiana Football Hall of Fame in 2005.