Hoosiers look to close nonconference slate with win over Jacksonville

Basketball_Butler_Green_TiplickFinal.JPG

When freshman guard Rob Phinisee was helped off the court at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall on Tuesday night there was a collective cry of nervousness.

The Crossroads Classic hero and de facto floor general had been stymied, not by an opposing defense, but by a dive and ensuing collision that left him in concussion protocol.

In stepped junior guard Devonte Green.

A lightning rod for chaos, Green is far from a perfect player. For each flashy assist or swished contested three pointer he hits, the North Babylon, New York, native seemingly produces an equally boneheaded miscue.

But with Phinisee sidelined for the better part of IU’s 86-53 win over Central Arkansas, Green delivered his best performance to date, totaling19 points and six assists in 28 minutes of action. 

“He's been a tough guy to read at times, just because of the ups and downs and the plays that he tries sometimes he knows he probably shouldn't,” IU coach Archie Miller said Friday. “But he also is a guy that is our best post feeder. He's our best passer just in general, making plays for the assist. It's not close."

Saturday night the Hoosiers welcome Jacksonville University Dolphins to Assembly Hall for the second of four winter break contests. Once more, IU will be sans Phinisee.

Miller said Friday he’s still battling a concussion and will be reevaluated after Christmas.

Jacksonville coach Tony Jasick’s bunch roll into Bloomington having won seven of their last nine games after dropping their first four.

In the first stop on their Hoosier state tour, Jacksonville fell to Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana on Thursday night 100-74. But don’t let the score fool you – the Fighting Irish finished an absurd 18-of-32 from three to bury the Dolphins. 

Sophomore guard JD Notae, 15.2 points per game, and redshirt senior forward Jace Hogan, 14.1 points per game, will lead the offensive charge. Notae is also a prolific three-point shooter, entering Saturday’s contest shooting 34.7 percent from behind the arc.

“They have some guys that can really cause some problems with their ruggedness, their physicality,” Miller said. “They play fast, and they can really drive the ball from five spots.”

Miller said he expects Jacksonville to feature a zone-focused defense Saturday. For what it’s worth, the last time IU saw a zone-heavy scheme was against Montana State on Nov. 9 – an 80-35 Hoosiers victory.

Saturday should also present a nice chance for Miller to rotate a number of the youthful role players he’s highlighted of late.

Sophomore forward Clifton Moore and freshman forward Jake Forrester both made appearances against Central Arkansas. Forrester was wildly impressive, notching eight points on 4-of-5 shooting in just seven minutes.

Moore was also productive, collecting two points, five rebounds and an assist in eight minutes.

“I think Clifton and Jake should both continue to find ways to keep getting better,” Miller said after the win. “I was glad they were able to play tonight. Always good for them.”

With a win Saturday night, it would mark the Hoosiers’ first undefeated calendar month (7-0) since November 2012.

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Assembly Hall.