Three takeaways from IU men's basketball's home win against Central Arkansas

Basketball_Butler_Green_TiplickFinal.JPG

For the first time in more than a month, IU was able to coast to a victory without needing a second-half comeback or late-game heroics.

IU's 86-53 victory against the University of Central Arkansas on Wednesday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall was as comfortable a win as the Hoosiers have had all season.

The visiting Bears went through lengthy scoring droughts during each half, allowing the Hoosiers to build a 16-point halftime lead that was never in danger.

Freshman guard Romeo Langford recorded his second career double-double in the win, scoring 18 points while grabbing 11 rebounds.

But, it was junior guard Devonte Green who led IU in scoring with 19 points in what was one of his best collegiate performances.

Here are three takeaways from IU's dominant home win, which gives the team its fifth consecutive win and improves its record to 10-2 overall.

1. IU used scoring runs in the first and second half to pull away from Central Arkansas.

Yet again, the Hoosiers got off to a sluggish start defensively during Wednesday's game against the Bears.

Central Arkansas scored 19 points, and made three three-pointers, during the first six minutes of the game.

"We were really careless," Miller said. "The first half, we weren't ready to go. We almost looked like we were winded starting the game almost and the standing around, the one-hand passes. We got through it and I thought we played a better game after that, but clearly the first four minutes our starting unit get off to a great start on either end of the floor."

Lackluster starts to games have plagued IU for most of the season, but Miller's team was able to turn around its defensive performance by halftime. After reaching the 19-point mark, Central Arkansas failed to score for almost 10 minutes as IU went on a 19-0 scoring run. That run featured six of Langford's 18 points, as well as baskets made by six different IU players.

The Hoosiers went from being down five points prior to the scoring run to up 14 points by the time Central Arkansas sophomore center Hayden Koval finally made a layup.

"I think we kind of got our bearings within the game and we really kind of started to settle down and play how we wanted to play," sophomore forward Justin Smith said. "The first six minutes were pretty frantic pace-wise so we were able to take a step back and really shore up the mistakes we were making and go on a run."

In the second half, the visitors went through another significant stretch without scoring, as IU scored 22 straight points during a seven-minute stretch.

As a whole, the Hoosiers outscored the Bears 34-13 during the final 15-and-a-half minutes of the game.

That kind of offensive performance isn't likely to win many games, and the only reason the final score was as close as it was came due to the play of Koval, who made four three-pointers and scored 16 points.

2. Devonte Green played his best game of the season and will start at guard for IU after Rob Phinisee was placed in concussion protocol. 

During the opening minutes of the game freshman guard Rob Phinisee dove for a loose ball on the floor. In doing so, his head collided with the body of a Central Arkansas player and Phinisee was soon taken out of the game. After a brief trip to the IU locker room, Phinisee returned to the bench for the first half, but did not reappear for the second period.

After the game, Miller announced Phinisee was placed in concussion protocol and the team is "planning on having to be without him for a while" on the court.

This means Green will be the starter for IU for the foreseeable future, and possibly beyond, if his performances continue to mimic the one he had Wednesday.

Green made jump shots from distance and created scoring opportunities for other IU players without turning the ball over in Wednesday's win.

His 19 points led all IU players and complimented the rest of his stats, which included six three-pointers, nine rebounds, six assists and two turnovers.

"I think I had a lot of open ones," Green said. "That definitely helped. I think just running the offense, getting those open shots was the main thing."

While a near double-double showing won't be expected each night from Green, limiting turnovers will be something Miller expects of him. Saturday's game against Jacksonville University is IU's last game until Big Ten play starts again Jan. 3, providing Phinisee with time to recover.

But if Green continues his prolific scoring and responsible ball-handling, Miller may not rush his star freshman back so soon.

3. Wednesday's win continued IU's strong play in Bloomington this season.

The Hoosiers haven't lost at Assembly Hall this season.

Basketball_Louisville_Student-section_Tiplick2.JPG
The IU student section holds up the Indiana Daily Student while the University of Louisville roster is being announced Dec. 8 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU defeated Louisville 68-67. Anna Tiplick

IU has an 8-0 home record and hasn't lost in Bloomington since last season's home finale Feb. 23.

Between the men's and women's teams, IU basketball is 14-0 at home this season.

The current five-game winning streak for the Hoosiers is the longest since Miller became head coach, and will carry over into the new year, barring an upset loss to the Dolphins later this week.