student life bloomington

Holidays events to do in Bloomington over winter break

Winter

The end of finals can mean the beginning of freedom. This year’s winter break will run from Dec. 14 to Jan. 7, giving students ample time to participate in the many activities around Bloomington such as basketball games, concerts and other holiday festivities.

Who Stole the Canopy of Lights? 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Nov. 2 to Dec. 29 at Monroe County History Center This new exhibition by the Monroe County History Center features an interactive scavenger hunt through the history of Monroe County. Tickets are $2 for adults, $1 for ages 6-17 and free for children under the age of 5.

Gingerbread House Workshop 3 to 5 p.m., Dec. 9 and Dec. 16 at Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel and Conference Center Sugar and Spice and IU Catering are putting on their fourth annual Gingerbread House Workshop at the Tudor Room in the IMU. Tickets are $25 per house, limited to four people per house, and the event will include refreshments and live music.

Straight No Chaser 8 p.m., Dec. 13 at IU Auditorium After the group was founded at IU in 1996, Straight No Chaser will be returning to their home grounds this winter break. Straight No Chaser, an a cappella group that puts a spin on pop hits, will be performing holiday favorites at the show. Tickets are on sale now at the IU Auditorium website.

Holiday Market 3 to 9 p.m., Dec. 14 and 15 at Artisan Alley, 222 W. Second St. Check out Artisan Alley, where local art vendors will be selling holiday gifts and other handmade works. The event is free and visitors can browse the local artists’ booths.

Girls Incorporated of Monroe County Holiday Hoopla volunteering 9 to 11:30 a.m., Dec. 15 Fountain Square Mall Girls Inc. of Monroe County is presenting its Holiday Hoopla from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 15 at Fountain Square Mall. Volunteers at Holiday Hoopla will help organize a pancake breakfast, a kids-only shopping area and a gingerbread house station. Visit here for more information.

Reindeer Reserve 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 4 p.m., Dec. 15 and 16 at WonderLab 308 W. Fourth St. Check out this opportunity to meet live reindeer and other arctic animals at the WonderLab museum. Tickets are $5 per person, plus museum admission, and are available at a first-come-first-serve basis the day of the show.

Men’s Basketball vs. Jacksonville University 6 p.m. Dec. 22 Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall Check out the men’s basketball team as it takes on Jacksonville.

Community Kitchen of Monroe County Christmas Day meal 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Dec. 25, Community Kitchen of Monroe County Volunteers are welcome to assist with serving a traditional Christmas meal at the Community Kitchen of Monroe County on Christmas Day. Shifts run from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and are two hours long. Check out the Monroe Community Kitchen website for more details.

Women’s Basketball vs. Penn State 7 p.m., Dec. 31 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall The women’s basketball team will be competing against Penn State over break.

Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band 7 p.m., Dec. 31 at Bluebird Kick off the New Year at Bluebird with Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, a trio specializing in Americana and Blues music. Native to Brown County, Indiana, the band books more than 250 shows a year making this a special Bloomington event. Tickets are $15 online and $20 at the door.

Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington Winter Break Camp 8 a.m. to noon and noon to 6 p.m., Jan. 2-4 at Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington Winter Break Volunteers are needed to act as camp counselors for the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington Winter Break Camp. Volunteers will be paired with a staff member and will lead a group of 15-20 campers. The camp days run from 8 a.m. to noon and noon to 6 p.m. Jan. 2-4. For more information, visit here

Men’s basketball vs. Illinois 7 p.m., Jan. 3 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall A great way for basketball fans to get out of the house is by watching the men’s basketball team take on Illinois at home.

IU Track and Field vs. University of Tennessee Jan. 5 at Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse Check out the track and field team as they race to defeat Tennessee.

Women’s basketball vs. Michigan State 2 p.m., Jan. 6 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall The women’s basketball team will be playing Michigan State this break.