sports men's soccer

Four IU men's soccer players earn postseason honors

Andrew Gutman for the last time

Following a season-ending loss to Maryland in the College Cup semi-finals, Top Drawer Soccer granted four IU men’s soccer players postseason awards Monday.

Senior defender Andrew Gutman and sophomore goalkeeper Trey Muse earned First-Team Best XI while Gutman was also named the National Player of the Year. Sophomore midfielder Griffin Dorsey picked up Third-Team Best XI honors while defender Jack Maher was named to the Best XI First-Team.

These were the second set of All-American honors this month for Gutman, Muse and Dorsey. The United Soccer Coaches named Gutman and Muse First-Team All-Americans while Dorsey was a Second-Team All-American.

Despite being labeled a defender, Gutman led IU with 11 goals this past season and was unanimously selected as Big Ten Conference Defender of the Year and First-Team All-Big Ten. He’s also a finalist for the Mac Hermann Trophy, which recognizes college soccer's best individual men's and women's player.

Muse was the unanimous choice for Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year and made First-Team All-Big Ten after ranking fourth in the country with 12 solo shutouts. He was the only goalkeeper named a MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist and ranked fifth in the NCAA in goals-against average at 0.541.

Dorsey was named First-Team All-Big Ten and All-North Region after scoring five goals with five assists this past season.

Maher was one of three players to start all 24 matches this season as IU led the country with 15 shutouts on the season. He was also named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year.