arts iu cinema

Filmmaker Alexandre O. Phillipe to discuss horror films at IU Cinema

Alexandre Philippe 2

Swiss-American filmmaker Alexandre O. Philippe will be visiting the IU Cinema this week to be present for two showings of his recent documentaries, a screening of a cult horror classic and give a lecture.

Philippe has directed multiple award-winning films and graduated with a master's degree in dramatic writing from NYU and is the creative director for Exhibit A Pictures, a film production company. His documentaries break down filmmakers’ most famous scenes in film and discuss those scenes in detail. 

Philippe directed a documentary titled “78/52: Hitchcock’s Shower Scene,” from the 1960 film “Psycho.” Philippe’s documentary will be shown at 7 p.m. Thursday at the IU Cinema, and tickets will cost $4. The film breaks down the famous shower scene that took an entire week to shoot. The shower scene involved 78 different camera set-ups and 52 different shots, and Philippe’s documentary dissects the scene down to the smallest details. 

The IU Cinema will also screen another documentary of Philippe’s called “Doc of the Dead,” which unravels the history of zombie culture in films. It will be shown at 10 p.m. Friday at the IU Cinema, and tickets are $4 for attendees. 

A film that Philippe will be present for is the screening of the 1973 classic “The Exorcist” at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the cinema. Tickets will be $4 for this film as well. Philippe is in the process of directing a documentary about this famous horror film and its director William Friedkin.

At 7 p.m. Friday at the cinema, Philippe will be present to give a lecture in a “Masterclass” style about Alfred Hitchcock. Philippe will analyze Hitchcock’s use of suspense, structure and interesting methods of film making. Many clips of Hitchcock’s films will be broken down to observe his techniques. The event will be free to attend, but ticketed.