sports   |   men's basketball

Jerome Hunter has surgery, is out indefinitely for IU men's basketball

hh11

Freshman forward Jerome Hunter guards the ball away from freshman guard Romeo Langford during a scrimmage at Hoosier Hysteria on Sept. 29 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Hunter is out indefinitely for IU after undergoing surgery Wednesday.  Ty Vinson Buy Photos

Freshman forward Jerome Hunter underwent surgery Wednesday to treat a lower body condition and will be out indefinitely, according to a Thursday afternoon release from the IU men's basketball program.

IU Coach Archie Miller said in the release Hunter had the surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, and the lower body condition the surgery addressed had first developed for Hunter early this semester.

The release stated Hunter hopes to return to the IU campus next week and he remains out indefinitely, but Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act laws prevent the program from further commenting on the specifics of Hunter's condition. 

Hunter is still yet to play in a game for the Hoosiers after participating in Hoosier Hysteria in late September. 

A native of Pickerington, Ohio, Hunter's injury has been described in a variety of ways by Miller during his media availabilities. 

At first Hunter's injury was described as a foot issue, but Miller has gone on to say Hunter developed an underlying problem, and the program was trying to get the injury properly diagnosed.

"It's not a typical leg injury that is an injury caused by practicing or something," Miller said Nov. 9. "It's more of an underlying effect that's causing him some pain."

Hunter was ranked as the No. 46 overall recruit by 247Sports and the No. 49 recruit by Rivals coming out of high school earlier this year. 

He finished his career at Pickerington High School North with 1,314 points and 729 rebounds and was named first team All-State in his senior season.

More in Sports