bloomington

Duke Energy reports outages in Indiana after ice storm

caSnowStorm

After an ice storm swept through Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky on Wednesday night and early Thursday, Duke Energy reported more than 200,000 power outages. 

A winter weather advisory remained in effect until 7 p.m. Thursday for Monroe County, according to the National Weather Service. 

Duke Energy restored power to about 84,000 Midwest customers as of 3 p.m. but approximately 38,000 Indiana customers were still without power, according to a press release from the company.  

Customers can report outages to Duke through its automated reporting number 800-343-3525 or by texting OUT to 57801. They can also report or view outages here.

If a customer's power is out, Duke suggests turning off as many appliances as possible because once power is restored, having appliances off will reduce the strain on power lines. Once power is back on, wait a few minutes before turning appliances back on. 

If neighbors have power and you do not, it may be because your meter box is damaged. If that is the case, Duke suggests getting the boxes repaired now to avoid delays in restorations. If the meter box is pulled away from the house, the homeowner is responsible for contacting an electrician to fix it.

Peter Talbot