sports men's soccer

COLUMN: It was business as usual in IU's 4-0 win over UConn

Coach Todd Yeagley

Coach Todd Yeagley was sitting on the cold gray bench on IU’s sideline in the opening minutes of his team’s NCAA Tournament match with UConn Sunday.

Nothing major was happening through the game’s first ten minutes, and Yeagley only stood sparsely. That was until the 12th minute when IU was rewarded its second corner of the game. 

Senior Trevor Swartz took the corner from the right side, and UConn hit it out of bounds for a second-straight corner. This time it was senior Austin Panchot who took it from the left side and once again UConn hit it out of bounds. 

Panchot had another go at it, and Yeagley was standing up, pacing the sidelines. Once again, the Hoosiers couldn’t capitalize, and UConn had some breathing room — barely. 

One minute and seven seconds later IU forced another corner. This time it was Swartz’s turn, and Yeagley was still standing from the first trilogy of corners. Nothing happened, and two minutes later the Hoosiers created another corner kick — this time it was Panchot.

The ball went out of bounds to Swartz’s side, so yes, another corner for IU. Yeagley continued to pace the sidelines and walked closer to the other side of the IU bench, closer to the goal as if he could sense what was about to happen. 

After scouting UConn’s defense through the first six corners, Yeagley said he and his staff made the adjustments necessary. 

Swartz, sporting the number seven and taking corner number seven, used his left foot to send in a perfectly arched ball to the back post where senior Andrew Gutman and his trusty head were positioned to drill the ball in the back of the net. 

Yeagley clapped on the sidelines while Gutman extended his wingspan running toward the left corner flag with his teammates chasing him. 

“We switched up Gutman’s run instead of the near post he went back post,” Swartz said. “Obviously, it worked out. Just had to put the ball on his head and he does what he does and just scored a goal.”

It gave IU the 1-0 lead and opened up the floodgates. 

A similar situation occurred in the second half when IU was leading 2-0. Swartz readied for the team’s ninth corner, Yeagley rose up from the bench and off the corner the ball eventually fell at senior Timmy Mehl’s feet for the goal. 

Yeagley's pacing wasn't out of anxiousness, but rather to get a closer look at what his team was about to do. He's more than confident in his team's abilities. 

The Hoosiers dominated all facets of the game. IU led in shots 22-3, shots on goal 9-1, corners 12-1 and, most importantly, goals 4-0.

The offense was relentless, the defense was impenetrable and it was just business as usual for IU. 

The four goals scored are tied for the most in one game through this year’s NCAA Tournament so far. The team wasn’t trying to make a statement, Yeagley made that clear after the game. The team just played its game — perhaps the most complete game IU has played all year — and took care of business. 

For people following IU all year, it was the Hoosiers being the Hoosiers. But, for teams unfamiliar with IU, like its next opponent, it’s a warning sign to not only Denver or Air Force, but the 30 teams left in the bracket. 

“Winning 4-0 I think sends a message to the country that we are in great form and we are finishing off plays,” Gutman said. “You don’t want to be the team in our way right now.”