administration

College of Arts and Sciences continues search for new executive dean

News-filler

The College of Arts and Sciences is still in the recruitment stage in its search for a new executive dean.

The search committee has been collecting nominations from internal and external candidates and wants to ensure that all members of the college staff are aware of the opportunity to continue nominating other candidates, according to an email from John Applegate, chair of the search committee.

"In terms of process, we are advancing according to plan," Applegate said.

The next step in the process will include first-round interviews to take place after the New Year, followed by campus visits for finalists during the spring semester where extensive interviews will take place. The appointment will be made after these campus visits.

The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest academic unit on campus with over 43,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The College has 550 degree-granting academic programs, is home to three schools and holds over 120 departments, programs, centers and institutes that focus on a range of studies.

Executive Dean Larry Singell announced earlier this year that he would step down from his position at the end of the 2018-19 school year. Singell served as executive dean for seven years, overseeing the construction of the School of Global and International Studies, the Media School and the School of Art, Architecture + Design.

The executive dean’s job is to provide leadership for the academic institutions and administration of the College, continue its legacy of contributions to the campus and develop new support for student success, according to the position's job description.

"I continue to believe that the Executive Dean of the College is a very attractive position, and that the committee will be able to present the provost and president with excellent candidates," Applegate said.

It is required that the individual have a degree in a field represented at the College and have the qualifications for a tenure position as a professor in an Arts and Sciences department, or have experiences that are equivalent to these requirements.

Applications will be reviewed in the upcoming months with priority given to applications received by January 2019.

IU has brought on Isaacson, Miller, a national executive search firm, to help the search committee

All applications, inquiries and nominations should be directed to the job's page on the Isaacson, Miller website.