Saturday, July 27

Cathedral High School recruit Armaan Franklin signs National Letter of Intent to play at IU

IU men's basketball plays the Iowa Hawkeyes in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall on Dec. 4, 2017.

Armaan Franklin, a three-star recruit from Indianapolis, has officially signed his National Letter of Intent to play basketball at IU. 

The seventh best prospect in the state of Indiana committed to IU in early September but didn’t officially sign until this morning on National Signing Day. 

During his recruiting process, offers rolled in from Louisville, Butler, Purdue, Ohio State and Xavier, but Franklin chose Bloomington.

Franklin played high school ball at Cathedral High School and followed the same path as former Cathedral and IU star Collin Hartman, who committed to IU after his days in Indianapolis. 

This furthers IU Coach Archie Miller’s plan of recruiting the state of Indiana. Franklin is the fourth commit from Indiana in Miller’s first two seasons at IU. Others include top current freshman, Romeo Langford, Damezi Anderson and Robert Phinisee, all ranked top five in the state. 

Franklin is currently the sole commit to Miller's 2019 class. The rest of IU’s targets might not commit until later, such as Trayce Jackson-Davis.

In October, reports came out that Jackson-Davis, who is considering IU, UCLA and Michigan State, wasn’t planning on signing until April, but that might not be the case anymore. 

According to the IndyStar, Jackson-Davis doesn’t want to wait until April to commit and said he expects to make his decision within the next month. 

Recruiting a top talent like Jackson-Davis has been one of Miller’s top priorities at IU, but his commits have gotten in on the action too. 

Franklin has been seen recruiting Jackson-Davis on social media in hopes that the top talent in the state will stay home and bolster IU’s recruiting class next season. 

This class is crucial because IU has four seniors who will be graduating this season, which opens up four scholarships for incoming freshmen or transfers. 

With one down in Franklin, Miller has at least three more to go. 

A previous version of this story misidentified the high school Jackson-Davis attends. The IDS regrets this error.