student life

What $5 and $10 can get you to eat around Bloomington

Cheap_Eats_03.jpg

College can be expensive, and when paying for food these expenses are bound to overwhelm students. 

There are ways to both treat yourself and your wallet. Here’s a list of cheap, quality restaurants offered across campus for those looking for deals under $5 and $10.

$5

Bloomingfoods: Music to every college student’s ears is a $3 dinner menu, and it’s more accessible than people know. Bloomingfoods offers a $3 dinner buffet every Wednesday from 5 to 9 p.m. at the west side location and every Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the east side location.

Taste of India: Taste of India is known for its authentic, original cuisine as well as its low burden on your wallet. All breads, soups, salads, desserts and beverages are priced under $5. Taste of India also offers discounts including 10 percent off all cash payments and 5 percent off for IU students and senior citizens.

Z&C Teriyaki & Sushi: Another popular option for hungry students looking for a cheap meal is Z&C Teriyaki and Sushi. Sushi rolls, sashimi and specialty sides such as edamame and miso soup are priced at under $5, making for a quick meal on a low budget.

Wheel Pizza: Wheel Pizza is famous for giving students cheap, late night food on Kirkwood Avenue. All of Wheel Pizza’s slices are priced at under $5, giving you extra cash to indulge in a special dipping sauce or cookie.

Pizza X: An IU staple, Pizza X, is an easy outlet to save money and get quality pizza. Splitting a pizza and order of breadsticks with a few of your friends is a great way to keep your budget under $5 and satisfy your stomach.

Dining Halls: The best way to save money is by making the most of your CrimsonCard and meal plan. There are many ways to take advantage of this system, such as bulking up on pre-packaged foods and saving part of your meals for later.

$10

Restaurant Ami: If the dining halls’ packaged sushi doesn’t sound appealing, Ami offers a variety of authentic Japanese food for cheap. Fried rice and most specialty sushi rolls such as California, salmon and tuna rolls can be purchased for less than $10. In addition, customers will receive miso soup and salad as a side.

Village Deli: After a night out, nothing is better than a good breakfast to recoup. As your wallet recovers, take a trip to Village Deli where plates of brunch food such as pancakes, bagels and omelets are offered at prices under $10.

Juannita’s: Craving Mexican but on a budget? Juannita’s offers authentic Mexican food such as tacos a la carte, burrito chipotle, taco salad and desserts under $10. Meals also include a free chips and salsa starter.

Hartzell’s Ice Cream and Jiffy Treat: A cheap treat can be found at either Hartzell’s or Jiffy Treat locations where customers can pick from homemade ice cream flavors and frozen yogurt. These locations offer ice cream specials under $10 that include toppings and mix-ins customers can add to their liking.

Noodles & Company: Located on Kirkwood Avenue, this popular chain is a fast way to save money and is accessible while on campus. A small bowl of noodles is priced at just under $5 while a large will only cost you only $6, making a cheap meal you can also save for later.