crime & courts

Police find throwing stars and syringes in stolen car

Bloomington police found syringes and throwing stars in a stolen car Thursday after pulling the driver over.

A man called Bloomington Police Department around 3:15 a.m., saying he had just seen his stolen car driving down South Liberty Drive. Police took the information and went to find the car, eventually pulling over a silver Honda Accord on North Dunn Street, Capt. Steve Kellams said. 

Officers saw two people in the car and asked them to step out to conduct a search. In the car, officers found two throwing stars that allegedly belonged to 26-year-old Sabrina Dunn. 

Also in the car were multiple hypodermic needles and drug paraphernalia belonging to Joshua Wampler, police said.

Wampler, 36, was the driver of the stolen car. He said he had borrowed it from his friend, the man who called the police, about a week ago. However, the victim told officers that Wampler had stolen his keys and hadn’t replied to any calls or texts all week. 

Officers then took both Wampler and Dunn into custody, where Dunn was given a citation for possession of throwing stars and then released. The throwing stars were confiscated by police. Wampler, however, is facing charges of theft and possession of a syringe.