student life

Phi Kappa Tau to organize concert for summer camps

News-filler

Phi Kappa Tau is organizing a charity concert from 9 to 11 p.m. Oct. 19 at Serendipity Martini Bar. Proceeds will go to SeriousFun, the fraternity’s national philanthropy.

Junior Emily Kronick said her life was changed by the SeriousFun Children’s Network. Her experience shaped who she was as a person and taught her that her illness did not define her. 

“There were tons of other kids just like me who could still dream and be inspired to do great things,” Kronick said. 

Tickets are $10 before the event and $12 at the door. SeriousFun is an organization providing summer camp experiences for children with lifelong or serious illnesses. 

Junior Antonio Arriaga, philanthropy chair for Phi Kappa Tau, said anyone 18 years and older can attend, but there will be an identification system for those who can and can’t drink. Serendipity Martini Bar was chosen because of its acoustics.

“It’s got a good open area for us to listen to the music,” said Jacob Krajacic, vice president of alumni relations for Phi Kappa Tau.

Junior Robert Hanlon, treasurer for Phi Kappa Tau said the fraternity raised about $1,600 last year during a car smash, where students paid to use various construction tools to demolish an old car from a local junkyard. 

Junior Andy Cotton, public relations chair for the fraternity, said many children enjoy the summer camps because they get to experience being a typical kid. Chapter members work the camps as well.

SeriousFun has camps in North America, Africa, Asia and Europe. There are about 30 running. Each week in a camp is dedicated to a different chronic illness.

“We just kinda do summer camp things, generally stuff terminally ill children can’t really do,” Cotton said.

The summer camp gave her the chance to gain a bigger support system and family, Kronick said.

“I really made a great network, a great community of people all around the world because of them,” Kronick said.

Arriaga said he felt the fraternity was becoming less involved, so the concert was a way to get back into it. He said he wanted to encourage the members to enjoy themselves and help people.

“If I can help everyone have fun while also helping people who are struggling, then it kinda balances the world,” Arriaga said.