crime & courts

Man reports being robbed by “clean-cut frat boys”

An 18-year-old Michigan man told police he was robbed early Tuesday while he was stopped at the intersection of North Walnut Street and Old State Road 37.

The man reported he was leaving his girlfriend’s dorm, headed home to Michigan in her 2016 blue Toyota Camry, when two men appeared “out of nowhere” and opened the car’s doors.

He reported the men told him they wanted money or the car, but he thought they were messing around at first. When he realized they were serious, he handed over some cash and his bank card in fear.

He told police the men looked like “clean-cut frat boys.”

The one who approached the driver’s side door was reportedly a muscular white man in his early 20s with blonde hair. He had no facial hair or visible tattoos and was wearing a red IU shirt with a white logo at the time of the incident, according to the victim.

The man who opened the passenger side door was reported as a muscular white man in his early 20s with brown hair and a patchy beard. The driver told police the man was wearing a black hoodie.

The victim was not injured, and he told police neither robber displayed any weapons.

Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said the 18-year-old does not appear to be an IU student.

“I do not believe that there is a public safety threat based on this information,” Kellams said.

The case is under investigation.