Instant Recap: IU football loses heartbreaker to Minnesota for fourth-straight loss

Ramsey Handoff

FINAL: Minnesota defeats IU 38-31.

In a game with incredible emotional swings in the fourth quarter, IU loses.

The Hoosiers scored 22 unanswered fourth-quarter points to tie the game, 31-31, but a late 67-yard touchdown pass by Minnesota and a fumble on the ensuring drive by Peyton Ramsey gives Minnesota the win.

IU is now 4-5 overall, and 1-5 in conference games, while Minnesota is 4-4 overall and has its first conference win of the season.

IU will be on a bye next week.

* FUMBLE (1:21 left in 4th quarter) Peyton Ramsey fumbles on IU's first play from scrimmage on its next drive.

A deal of game penalty was issued to IU, before Ramsey was sacked and fumbled the ball away.

* TOUCHDOWN (1:45 left in 4th quarter) A 67-yard pass from Morgan to Rashod Bateman has the Golden Gophers back in the lead.

On its first play on a new drive, IU cornerback Juwan Burgess bit on a double-move play and allowed Bateman to run right past him.

Minnesota leads 38-31 with time now against IU.

* TOUCHDOWN (4:00 left in 4th quarter) IU scores again on a 3-yard carry by Stevie Scott.

The key play was a long run on 4th and 9 by Peyton Ramsey all the way to the Minnesota 3-yard line. It was a 29-yard rush, a career-high for him.

IU goes for two to try and tie the game and is successful as Hale catches a pass on slant route just past the goal line.

IU has scored 22 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to tie the game, 31-31.

* INTERCEPTION (9:14 left in 4th quarter) IU gives the ball right back.

A miscommunication between Ramsey and wide receiver J-Shun Harris II results in a pass over the middle of the field by Ramsey that is nowhere near a Hoosier and is intercepted by the Golden Gophers.

* INTERCEPTION (9:52 left in 4th quarter) Bryant Fitzgerald, who was involved in a fumble recover earlier for the Hoosiers, now has an interception.

The takeaway came on the first place of the new Minnesota drive.

IU has the ball down eight points with just over nine minutes left.

* TOUCHDOWN (10:04 left in 4th quarter) IU immediately capitalizes off of the takeaway.

Ramsey finds wide receiver Ty Fryfogle for both a long-ditance touchdown pass and a successful two-point conversion.

The touchdown pass was 37 yards long, while the two-point conversion came on a short route in which he was wide open.

Minnesota leads IU 31-23, it is a one-possession game.

* FUMBLE (11:55 left in 4th quarter) IU's defense with another takeaway as Bryce Williams fumbles for Minnesota.

The fumble was forced by Cam Jones and recovered by Juwan Burgess.

IU ball at its own 37-yard line.

* TOUCHDOWN (13:24 left in 4th quarter) Donavan Hale has his fifth receiving touchdown of the season with a 43-yard basket batch on a long pass from Peyton Ramsey.

It's IU's first touchdown of the game and comes just after the IU defense forced its first punt by Minnesota of the game.

IU went for a two-point conversion, but Ramsey's pass is incomplete.

Minnesota leads IU 31-15.

* END of 3rd Quarter: Minnesota leads IU 31-9.

* TURNOVERS (4:45 left in 3rd quarter) The two teams trade turnovers in quick succession.

Peyton Ramsey is interested by the Minnesota defense, but then a second fumble is forced and recovered by the IU defense.

Raheem Layne recovered the ball for the Hoosiers. IU ball inside its own 5-yard line.

* TOUCHDOWN (5:33 left in 3rd quarter) Following the Minnesota field goal, IU's offense fails to find success, and the punt is blocked by Minnesota.

After getting the ball at the IU 28-yard line, it takes Minnesota just three plays too core.

The culminating moment was a 17-yard touchdown run by Shannon Brooks.

Minnesota leads IU 31-9.

* FIELD GOAL (7:56 left in 3rd quarter) For the first time tonight, Minnesota fails to reach the end zone on a drive.

The Golden Gophers settle for a 37-yard field goal by Emmit Carpenter to make it a 24-9 lead against the Hoosiers.

Minnesota takes more than eight minutes off the clock with the opening drive of the second half.

It was an 11-play drive covering 53 yards.

* INJURY (Second half)

Per the television broadcast of the game, sophomore husky Marcelino Ball is out for the rest of the game for IU.

* HALFTIME Minnesota leads IU 21-9.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan has more than 200 passing yards and two touchdowns for Minnesota at the break.

IU's defense has had injuries suffered by Marcelino Ball and A'Shon Riggins, while on offense the Hoosiers have made it deep into Golden Gopher territory on three drives, but they've all ended in field goals by Logan Justus.

Peyton Ramsey is 13 of 20 passing for 74 yards while Stevie Scott has 68 yards rushing.

* TOUCHDOWN (0:42 left in 2nd quarter) Tyler Johnson is again on the receiving end of a touchdown pass from Morgan.

This one is 18 yards long and comes as the culmination of a 99-yard drive for the Golden Gophers.

Minnesota has three touchdown drives on its three possessions tonight. Cornerback A'Shon Riggins was also injured for IU during that drive.

So far, Morgan is 12 of 14 passing for 203 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Minnesota leads IU 21-9.

* TOUCHDOWN (6:19 left in 2nd quarter) Minnesota makes it two-for-two on touchdown drives tonight.

Morgan finds Tyler Johnson for an eight-yard touchdown pass.

The latest Golden Gopher touchdown drive lasted 15 plays that covered 75 yards and took nearly eight minutes of clock time.

Minnesota leads IU 14-9.

During the drive, husky Marcelino Ball was injured for IU making a tackle near the end of the drive. He was able to jog off the field along with IU's trainers, but then went to IU's locker room for further medical evaluation.

* FIELD GOAL (14:05 left in 2nd quarter) Logan Justus with another field goal, this one from 41 yards out.

It's his third field goal of the game, as the Hoosiers were unable to move any closer to the Golden Gopher end zone.

IU has three points off turnovers tonight, and now also has the lead, 9-7.

* END of 1st QUARTER Minnesota leads IU 7-6 after the opening period.

The Hoosiers have had two drives go deep inside Golden Gopher territory, but both have resulted in short field goals made by Logan Justus.

After the takeaway by the IU defense, it's IU ball near the Minnesota red zone.

* FUMBLE (0:52 left in 1st quarter) The IU defense forces a takeaway as safety Bryant Fitzgerald forces a fumble by getting his helmet on the ball during a Minnesota rushing attempt.

Mike Barwick Jr. recovered the ball for the Hoosier defense.

* FIELD GOAL (1:13 left in 1st quarter) Stevie Scott makes his mark on the game with some big carries as IU scores another field goal on its second drive of the game.

Scott had runs of 14 yards and 22 yards on consecutive plays, but the Hoosier drive stalled short of the end zone again.

Justus connects on a field goal from 24 yards out as IU trims the deficit to one point.

Minnesota leads IU 7-6.

* TOUCHDOWN (6:25 left in 1st quarter) Minnesota takes its opening drive easily into the end zone to take the lead.

Minnesota used a Wildcat offensive formation, as well as a "Flea Flicker" trick play, to put the IU defense on its heels.

The final play of the drive was a one-yard run by Seth Green after he received a direct snap.

The Golden Gophers needed just four first downs to go 77 yards.

Minnesota leads 7-3.

* FIELD GOAL (9:27 left in 1st quarter) IU takes a 3-0 lead to begin the game.

Peyton Ramsey led the Hoosiers effectively and efficiently down the field, frequently escaping the pocket by running for first downs. But, IU's drive stalled out short of the end zone and a 33-yard field goal by Logan Justus was all IU could come away with.

IU leads Minnesota 3-0.

* Heavy rain is in the forecast in Minneapolis for tonight's game, with the temperature set to be around 40 degrees.

* Redshirt freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan will start tonight for Minnesota after regular starter Zack Annexstad was injured during Minnesota's loss last week at Nebraska.

* Minnesota is only one of two Big Ten teams, along with Rutgers, yet to win a conference game this season. IU's lone Big Ten win came against Rutgers last month.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for the IU football game at Minnesota. Both the Hoosiers and Golden Gophers enter tonight's game looking to change their fortunes in Big Ten play.