sports men's soccer

Griffin Dorsey and Justin Rennicks named to United States U-20 National Team

Justin Rennicks vs. Butler

Sophomore midfielders Griffin Dorsey and Justin Rennicks were named to the United States U-20 National Team on Tuesday afternoon.

The duo are two of four collegiate soccer players named to the 20-player roster.

Dorsey and Rennicks will be with the team from Nov. 1-21 as part of the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship.

“We are excited to have Justin and Griffin selected to represent our U-20 National Team,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a release. “They have both worked hard to earn this call-up and we look forward to seeing the USA qualify for this summer’s U-20 World Cup.”

This means they could potentially miss five matches for IU, including the entirety of the Big Ten Tournament and the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

As the defending champions and top seed of the tournament, the U.S. was put into Group A. It opens the tournament against Puerto Rico on Nov. 1 and plays the U.S. Virgin Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Suriname over a nine-day period. 

After the round-robin portion of the tournament, the top team in each of the six groups will play in the qualification stage. The teams will be divided into two groups of three and play a second round of round-robin matches. The two group winners, plus the second-place finishers, will advance to the tournament's final round to determine the regional champion.

During the qualification stage, teams will be permitted to amend their 20-player rosters and replace up to six players within 24 hours after the group stage.

The competition determines CONCACAF's four representatives for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland, as well as the CONCACAF teams competing at the 2019 Pan American Games in Peru.

Meanwhile, IU will look to wrap up the Big Ten regular season title Wednesday night against Ohio State.