bloomington

Fall is here to stay, Bloomington to remain in 50s, 60s

its_fall?.JPG

Misty air, chunky sweaters and chai lattes were far from reality last week as temperatures soared into the 80s. But after a few chilly days and nights, the signs of fall are appearing and seem to be here to stay.

According to the National Weather Service’s forecast, the temperatures in Bloomington will stay in the 50s and lower 60s for the next 10 days.

A cold front will move into Monroe County late Sunday night and early Monday morning. This front will bring high pressure to the area for the majority of the week, meaning there won’t be much rain.

In Cactus Flower Clothing on Kirkwood Avenue, jackets and sweaters fill the racks and only a few summer items remain. Sophomore Erin Huston, an employee at Cactus Flower, said people began buying fall apparel only recently.

“When it was still warm, it was hard for people to buy the fall stuff because it’s hard to buy something you can’t wear right away,” Huston said.

Huston said layering is her favorite part of cold-weather fashion. She said it gives her more options when putting together an outfit.

“In the summer, you just want to wear shorts and a tank top,” Huston said. “When it’s cold, you can do more. I definitely look forward to fall and winter from a fashion standpoint.”

Senior John Armstrong, a barista at Soma Coffeehouse and Juice Bar, said more people come in when it gets cold. Chai lattes get popular, but coffee remains the favorite.

Inside, a Nora Jones song drifted through the speakers and a steady stream of people came through the door, getting out of the rain to order something warm.

The jazz, Armstrong said, is what makes the cozy atmosphere of a coffeehouse complete.

“Coffee, the pitter-patter of rain and the sweet sounds of the saxophone draw people in,” Armstrong said.