bloomington

Bloomington Farmers’ Market opens this weekend

farmersmarket.jpg

With the official arrival of spring weather in Indiana comes the Bloomington Farmers' Market, starting April 7, according to a Bloomington press release.

Early risers and morning shoppers will be able to buy fresh vegetables and produce directly from farmers and food vendors starting 8 a.m. through 1 p.m. Saturday at Eighth and Morton streets next to City Hall.

Farm products and produce this year will include: Greens, bedding plants, perennial plants, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, eggs, flowers, jams and jellies, onions, garlic, winter squash, cheese, mushrooms, herbs, frozen fruit and vegetables, according the press release.

There will also be entertainment and other events. According to the release, a health fair will start at 9 a.m. Saturday and a home-brewing club will be providing demonstrations of their brewing process.

The Bloomington Farmers’ Market will also double  Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program  dollars for 2018 and food stamp recipients can use them to purchase “Market Bucks,” according to the press release. For example, $5 in food stamp benefits can be exchanged for $10 in Market Bucks. 

For more information on the Bloomington Farmers’ Market call the City of Bloomington at 812-349-3700 or visit the Farmers’ Market Web site at bloomington.in.gov/farmersmarket.

Dominick Jean