news   |   crime & courts   |   bloomington

Crash at Henderson Street and Atwater Avenue caused by drunken driver


A five-car accident Wednesday evening blocked the intersection of Atwater Avenue and Henderson Street for hours. Police say the driver of the red truck was found to be heavily intoxicated.  Hannah Boufford Buy Photos

A five-car accident Wednesday evening near the Henderson Parking Garage was caused by a clearly intoxicated driver, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said.

The 55-year-old driver told police at the hospital he did not remember getting in the car to drive. He also had no recollection of the accident. 

The driver, Christopher Eye, turned himself in at the BPD station Friday afternoon after he was released from the hospital.

Police are waiting on the results of his blood draw to determine what his blood alcohol content was at the time of the crash.

The accident blocked the intersection at Atwater Avenue and South Henderson Street for at least three hours.

The string of accidents leading to the intersection crash began before 5 p.m. when the red Toyota pickup truck struck a silver Ford pickup from behind on East Moores Pike. The license plate number and description of the red pickup matched that of the truck from the Atwater Avenue crash.

Eye refused to take a breath test, so officers got a warrant for a blood draw.

A handgun was found in the red Toyota pickup truck that caused the crash. Eye was not licensed to carry a handgun, according to police. 

The driver of the silver pickup from the first accident said he assumed Eye would pull over after rear-ending them, but the Toyota continued west down East Moores Pike.

Just after 5 p.m., an officer responding to another call saw the same red Toyota intentionally ram a white two-door passenger car on South Henderson Street.

The white vehicle pulled off the road onto East Maxwell Lane, but the red pickup continued with officers following behind.

When the pickup reached the intersection of South Henderson Street and Atwater Avenue, it rammed into vehicles stopped at the red light and spun out into the intersection.

Officers noticed two handgun magazines in the bed of the red pickup and restrained Eye as firemen cut him out of the truck. Knives and alcohol were later recovered from the debris.

Eye faces charges of battery with a deadly weapon, leaving the scene, resisting law enforcement, reckless driving, criminal recklessness and operating while intoxicated with endangerment.

This story has been updated.

Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

More in News

Comments powered by Disqus