crime & courts bloomington

Change of plea hearing in Sater murder case delayed again

Brittany Sater.jpg

A change of plea hearing for Billie Jean Edison, charged with killing, robbing and burgling Bloomington resident Brittany Sater in 2016, was delayed again Wednesday. 

The hearing began about an hour late, and Judge Teresa Harper then said there was not enough time left in the day, only 35 minutes, to allow all sides to speak and to finish sentencing Edison. 

“I want both sides of the courtroom to feel like they had the opportunity to be heard,” Harper said. 

Edison is expected to change her plea to guilty as part of a deal. 

However, consultation between the defense, prosecution and their clients delayed the hearing, which has already been pushed back several times since it was originally scheduled for Oct. 4.

The hearing is now scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Feb. 15, and Harper said there will be enough time then to finish the case, even if they have to work through lunch.

Three people were charged with Sater’s murder, and Edison could be the last to be sentenced for the crime if she pleads guilty next week. 

Dennis Webb, another defendant, identified himself as Sater’s shooter. He pleaded guilty in July to murder and robbery and received 63 years in prison. 

Johnny T. Moore, who the prosecution said ordered Webb and Edison to commit the robbery leading to Sater’s death, was found guilty of the same three charges in an April trial. He was sentenced to 77 years in prison.

He is now seeking an appeal.