crime & courts

13-year-old in Evansville threatened to kill ‘at least 25 people’ in Snapchat

A parent called Bloomington High School North on Tuesday morning when her child showed her a message from a friend who heard there would be a shooting at BHSN, though it was a miscommunication.

While there was no threat toward BHSN, there was a threat directed toward another school in Evansville, Indiana.

The 16-year-old BHSN student received the message on Facebook around 10:45 p.m. Monday but didn’t see it until Tuesday morning.

“North is supposed to be getting shot up tomorrow bb. Be careful,” the message from her friend read.

The friend who sent the message lives in Greene County. She told detectives her brother saw the threat on Facebook.

A screenshot of a threatening Snapchat had been shared on Facebook, according to a Wednesday press release from the Bloomington Police Department.

According to a press release from the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office, the Snapchat said, “North Junior high kids your next be ready I’m coming wit my crew and I`m killing at least 25 people tomorrow watch.”

Investigators discovered the person who posted the Snapchat lives in Evansville, Indiana. There is a North Junior High School in Evansville.

BPD contacted the Evansville Police Department, who said they were aware of the threat and were investigating it.

The Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office arrested a 13-year-old North Junior High School student in relation to the threat. The student who made the threat was also the one who told teachers about it, according to the press release. 

The student arrested told police she also Snapchatted threats about the Cedar Hall Community School.

The girl was charged with intimidation and disorderly conduct. She was taken to the Evansville Rescue Mission's Youth Care Center, a juvenile detention center.

The Vanderburgh County press release said the girl was slated to appear in juvenile court Wednesday, and the EPD will be filing additional charges against her.