sports women's basketball

Tyra Buss breaks IU scoring record in loss to Penn State

Senior guard Tyra Buss attempts a layup against Louisville on Nov. 30 in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Buss and the Hoosiers get set to play No. 10 Ohio State at home on Saturday. 

Wednesday night was a historic night for senior guard Tyra Buss and the IU women’s basketball program.

In the Hoosiers’ 77-74 loss to Penn State at University Park, Pennsylvania, Buss overtook Denise Jackson, who set the mark during the 1983-1984 season, as the all-time leading scorer in IU women’s program history.

Coming into the contest, Buss needed just 14 points to break Jackson’s record. Buss ended up scoring 27, giving her 1,931 total points for her career.

Jackson’s previous record of 1,917 points was set during her senior season in 1983-84. Jackson averaged 15.5 points during her four-year career for the Hoosiers. Her best average came during the 1982-83 season in which she scored 19.7 points per game.

Buss is currently averaging 20.6 points on the year and 16.9 for her career. She has already broken multiple records this season and looks to be destined to break more going forward.

In the Hoosiers’ loss to Virginia at the West Palm Beach Invitational Dec. 18, she set the program record for free throws made in a career with 516. In IU’s victory at Yale on Dec. 21, she broke the all-time record for free throws attempted with 690.

Both records were originally held by Jenny DeMuth, who played for IU from 2002to 2006.

Buss is also just 64 assists away from breaking Tisha Hill’s program record for career assists of 533 set in 1992 and just 13 steals away from breaking the all-time record held by Kim Roberson that was set in 2009.

Buss will look to continue her record-breaking season in the Hoosiers’ next game against Purdue in Bloomington on Jan. 6.

Murphy Wheeler