sports wrestling

Wrestling goes undefeated in final nonconference dual meet

Then-sophomore, now junior Norman Conley defeats Northern Illinois junior Bryce Gorman during the first session of the 2017 Hoosier Duals. IU wrestling begins its 2018-19 season this weekend.

IU wrestling closed its nonconference dual meet season with a 3-0 performance Saturday in the Hoosier Duals at the University Gym.

IU handily defeated Northern Illinois, SIU Edwardsville and Cleveland State to improve its record to 6-1 before the start of the Big Ten Conference season.

The Hoosiers had six wrestlers — sophomores Norman Conley and Devin Skatzka, and juniors Jake Danishek, Bryce Martin, Elijah Oliver and Cole Weaver — get a perfect 3-0 during the meet.

Danishek, Skatzka and Weaver all finished the nonconference dual meet season with undefeated records.

As a team, IU won each dual Saturday by at least 27 points.

The day began for IU with a 33-6 win against Northern Illinois. The Huskies only registered wins in the 133-lb. and 285-lb. weight classes. IU never trailed in the dual as Oliver began the dual with a win by forfeit, which awarded the Hoosiers six points.

The second session saw the Hoosiers register a 40-6 victory against the SIU Edwardsville Cougars. Just like in the first session, IU only lost two matches, this time in the 149-lb. and 197-lb. weight classes. 

In the final session, IU cruised to a win, 37-7, against Cleveland State. The Hoosiers dropped matches in the 149-lb. and 197-lb. weight classes again, but had an otherwise unblemished dual.

Next up for IU is the start of the conference season, which will come against Ohio State on Dec. 10 in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. 

Cameron Drummond