sports wrestling

Wrestling picks up two victories during the IU Duals

Redshirt freshman Austin Holmes and redshirt freshman Davey Tunon wrestle in the 149 lb weight class in the Cream and Crimson dual on Oct. 26 at the University Gym. IU named Mike Dixon associate head coach on Tuesday.

The IU wrestling team began its 2017-18 home schedule this past Saturday with a quad meet featuring Binghamton, Eastern Michigan, Indianapolis and IU at the University Gym.

The Hoosiers claimed two victories against Eastern Michigan and Indianapolis in the first and third sessions of the quad meet. A loss to Binghamton was sandwiched between victories for the Hoosiers.

IU's 25-12 victory against Eastern Michigan saw the Hoosiers win seven out of the 10 matches. The Hoosiers also won the first six matches of the session against the Eagles.

Freshman Davey Tunon, sophomores Jake Hinz and Garrett Pepple and juniors Elijah Oliver, Cole Weaver, Jake Danishek and Bryce Martin all recorded wins either by decision or pinning for the Hoosiers.

By comparison, only two Hoosier wrestlers scored victories in the second session against the Binghamton Bearcats. Danishek and Weaver both earned decision victories for IU. It was the first team loss for IU this season, though the Hoosiers recovered well in Saturday's final session.

That final session featured a dominating 34-8 win against Indianapolis. Only two Indianapolis wrestlers won their matches, and Hinz and sophomore Zach Horwitz were the only IU wrestlers who lost. Danishek and Weaver both earned wins by pin against Indianapolis, meaning they finished the IU Duals with a perfect 3-0 record.

IU is now 3-1 overall this season, as the Hoosiers also defeated Bloomsburg University, 19-18, Nov. 16.

IU has another quad dual scheduled for this Saturday at the University Gym against SIU-Edwardsville, Cleveland State and Northern Illinois.

Cameron Drummond