Hall of Fame announcer and IU alumnus Dick Enberg dies

SPORTS MILLER-COLUMN SD

IU alumnus Richard Alan Enberg, known as Dick Enberg, a 2006 inductee into the Indiana University Athletics Hall of Fame, died Thursday in La Jolla, California, at 82 years old.

Enberg was one of the top play-by-play announcers in collegiate and professional sports during the last 50 years, working for NBC, CBS and ESPN among other major networks.

He received his master's and doctorate degrees in health sciences from IU after graduating with a bachelor's degree from Central Michigan University in 1957.

After arriving at IU, Enberg was the first announcer on the IU Sports Network from 1957 to 1961. He voiced the first radio broadcast of IU's Little 500, and also served as a play-by-play announcer for IU football and men's basketball games.

While with NBC, Enberg announced the 1981 NCAA men's basketball national championship game between IU and North Carolina. IU won the game 63-50.

Enberg went on to serve as the lead play-by-play announcer for UCLA men's basketball, the Los Angeles Rams, California Angels and San Diego Padres during his storied career.

Known for his signature catchphrase, "oh my," Enberg called the NFL, MLB, NBA, college football, college basketball, Olympic Games, tennis and golf during his 25 years with NBC Sports, which started in 1975.

He also was part of the first syndicated sports-focused game show, "Sports Challenge," from 1971 to 1979.

Enberg moved to CBS Sports in 2000, working NFL, college basketball and tennis coverage. He finished his career as a play-by-play announcer with the San Diego Padres from 2009 to 2016.

Among the many accolades earned by Enberg during his career was a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which was given to him in 1998.

Cameron Drummond