Semester Review: The biggest stories from the fall 2017

review.jpg

Scroll through the biggest stories the IDS brought you this past semester. The IDS will resume print coverage on Friday, Jan. 5. Follow us on Twitter for breaking news.

Former IU chancellor Ken Gros Louis dies

Former IU Bloomington Chancellor Ken Gros Louis died Thursday, Oct. 19, in his sleep at 80 years old. One of Gros Louis’ daughters sent an email to his friends and colleagues the next day breaking the news.

He came to IU in 1964 to teach English and comparative literature. He was later dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Read more here.

Students, residents react to eclipse casting over Bloomington

caeclipse2.jpg
Students outside the Asian Culture Center anticipate the peak moment of the eclipse. The moon reached its maximum coverage of the sun at 2:25 p.m. Sarah Verschoor

Monday, Aug. 21, marked the first total solar eclipse spanning the United States since 1979. While many students headed to class, others wandered around campus and ventured around Lake Monroe, most wearing solar viewing glasses to watch as the sun and moon's paths collided. Read more here.

IFC votes to temporarily suspend fraternity social activities

Delta  Chi's house is located on Third Street. The fraternity was suspended due to violations of the IU student code of conduct and the Greek Agreement regarding hazing, IU Spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email. 
Delta  Chi's house is located on Third Street. The fraternity was suspended due to violations of the IU student code of conduct and the Greek Agreement regarding hazing, IU Spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email.  Emily Eckelbarger

IU’s Interfraternity Council voted Monday, Nov. 27, to temporarily suspend all social activities with alcohol and unsupervised new member activities for its fraternity chapters until Feb. 28, 2018. 

IFC Executive Board and all chapter presidents met on Nov. 27 where they unanimously decided to suspend these activities. Read more here.

Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance cuts doctorate programs

Justino Brokaw, Tara Chiusano and Abby Lee play Vanya, Sonia and Masha in IU Theatre's 2016 production "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike." Lee, center, is a third-year M.F.A. acting student who expressed dismay at the Nov. 9 announcement that the Ph.D. program in Theatre History, Theory and Literature will be cut. “It’s like having an art program and cutting art history,” Lee said. “How could you make art if you’ve never heard of Warhol or Rembrandt?”  
Justino Brokaw, Tara Chiusano and Abby Lee play Vanya, Sonia and Masha in IU Theatre's 2016 production "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike." Lee, center, is a third-year M.F.A. acting student who expressed dismay at the Nov. 9 announcement that the Ph.D. program in Theatre History, Theory and Literature will be cut. “It’s like having an art program and cutting art history,” Lee said. “How could you make art if you’ve never heard of Warhol or Rembrandt?”   Marlie Bruns

On Nov. 9, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Larry Singell issued a letter to students in the theater department announcing the discontinuation of the current Ph.D. program.

“Increasingly, diminishing numbers of Ph.D. graduates are competing with growing numbers of MFA graduates for a small number of professional and academic positions,” Singell said in the letter. “Thus, we have decided to focus our energies on maintaining an outstanding MFA program and supporting our B.A. and BFA programs.” Read more here.

Plenty of positives to take out of 2017 for IU men’s soccer

When you see all of the things IU has done on the pitch in 2017, it seems almost cruel that its season ended the way it did Sunday, Dec. 10, in Chester, Pennsylvania.

The 966 straight minutes without giving up a goal was a program record and ranked fourth all-time in NCAA history. The undefeated regular season was the first in program history since 1997. The Hoosiers were also the last undefeated team remaining in the country. Read more here.

Off-Stage

Ballet instructor Christian Claessens corrects junior Anna Wilkins during class Aug. 30, 2017. The nature of ballet requires a lot of physical touch between dance partners and instructors helping students.
Ballet instructor Christian Claessens corrects junior Anna Wilkins during class Aug. 30, 2017. The nature of ballet requires a lot of physical touch between dance partners and instructors helping students. Bobby Goddin

A ballerina in a knee-length skirt stands center stage, balancing on the tip of one satin shoe.

She grips her partner’s hands as she tilts forward, her other leg floating behind her, higher and higher, edging toward a perfect 180-degree line.

The pair is rehearsing “Flower Festival in Genzano,” for the Jacobs School of Music Ballet Department’s 2017 fall performance, and this image encapsulates all the world has seen of the department for years: pristine dancers and professional-level performances. But beyond the curtains, in the bowels of the Musical Arts Center, much more has unfolded in the last two years. Read more here.

A college football Saturday through the eyes of Fred Glass

Coach Tom Allen and Athletics Director Fred Glass walk down "The Walk" prior to the Indiana football game on Sept. 23, 2017. IU will open up home play on Saturday against Virginia.
Coach Tom Allen and Athletics Director Fred Glass walk down "The Walk" prior to the Indiana football game on Sept. 23, 2017. IU will open up home play on Saturday against Virginia. Bobby Goddin

The IDS spent a day with Glass to catch a glimpse of his typical game day.  Read more here.

A series of small accidents

cacaving1_web.jpg
Freshman Lukas Cavar was trapped in Sullivan Cave for three days and three nights. Chocolate chip Clif bars, a headlamp, tennis shoes and a water bottle are examples of some of the things Cavar had with him. Photo illustration by Rose Bythrow

For three days and three nights, the freshman hung on in the darkness, alternating between anger and resignation, hope and hopelessness.

“Help,” 19-year-old Lukas Cavar called out. “Is anyone out there?”

He was trapped inside Sullivan Cave, left behind by the Caving Club at IU. 

Bats hovered. A snake bit his right hand’s middle finger. He was so hungry he licked the wrapper of a chocolate chip Clif Bar. For water, he licked the moist walls of the cave. The walls tasted like salt, and afterward he had to pick out pieces of grit stuck between his teeth. Read more here.

It's time to get LaCroixzy

LaCroix boasts more 20 flavors of its carbonated water. The company started in La Crosse, Wisconsin, around 1981.
LaCroix boasts more 20 flavors of its carbonated water. The company started in La Crosse, Wisconsin, around 1981. Emily Eckelbarger

LaCroix blessed us with a new flavor so we returned the favor: reviews, video, comparison and more. Read more here.

Something in the night

Bats WEB 005.jpg
Indiana State University doctoral student Lizz Beilke holds a Indiana Bat after untangling the bat from a net on June 21 in the Morgan-Monroe State Forest. The group measured the bat's wingspan, took hair and guano samples. Later attached a radio transmitter to its back. The Indiana Bat is one species of bat that has been affected by white nose syndrome. It has decimated bat populations across North America. Introduced in New York in 2006, the fungus attacks bats when they hibernate during the winter. Noble Guyon

Scientists paid little attention to bats until a decade ago, when a disease called white nose syndrome started wiping out populations across the United States. Now, researchers race against time to find out what bats — and their disappearance — mean for the world at large. Read more here.

The dawn of the Juul

The JUUL is a type of small, USB-chargeable vaporizer, more commonly known as a ‘vape.' This kind of vape contains nicotine and is therefore illegal for minors to use.
The JUUL is a type of small, USB-chargeable vaporizer, more commonly known as a ‘vape.' This kind of vape contains nicotine and is therefore illegal for minors to use. Emily Eckelbarger

The romanticized era of the leather jacket-clad, cigarette-puffing teen is gone. In its place is a new age: the dawn of the Patagonia-wearing JUUL-ripping student is upon IU.

The JUUL is a type of small, USB-chargeable vaporizer, more commonly known as a ‘vape,’ whose stated goal is to help adults stop smoking cigarettes. Read more here.

IU football falls shy of six wins, loses Old Oaken Bucket to Purdue

A Purdue team member holds the Old Oaken Bucket Nov. 25 at Ross-Ade Stadium after Purdue defeated IU for the first time since 2012. Both IU and Purdue will need a win in this year's battle to reach a bowl game.
A Purdue team member holds the Old Oaken Bucket Nov. 25 at Ross-Ade Stadium after Purdue defeated IU for the first time since 2012. Both IU and Purdue will need a win in this year's battle to reach a bowl game. Ty Vinson

The 2017 IU football season ended the same way it started.

During the game Saturday, Nov. 25,  31-24 loss at Purdue and IU's season-opening loss to Ohio State, IU senior quarterback Richard Lagow threw the ball at least 60 times, while the IU defense allowed more than 270 rushing yards. 

In those games, a pass-heavy IU offense failed to move the football, while opposing running backs shredded the Hoosier defense. Read more here.

'Tis the season to be meme-y

memes.png

With the holidays upon us, it’s time to be grateful for what really matters: the memes that have blessed us throughout 2017.

This is a year when we collectively mourned Vine, stood in line for hours for discontinued fast food sauce (or made fun of people that did) and shared posts #ForTheCulture of the meme landscape we find ourselves trapped in. 

Celebrate the season with an Advent calendar full of the goofs that kept us afloat this year. Read more here.

The system

The System Outcomes Graphic.png

In a yearlong investigation, a team of reporters from the Indiana Daily Student interviewed more than a dozen current and former students about their experiences in the IU Office of Student Ethics, recently renamed the Office of Student Conduct. The team also reviewed lawsuits by students who have sued the University, saying their cases were unfairly handled, and interviewed the attorneys representing students in these cases. Read more here.