Friday rundown: IUMS plays tonight, proposed raise in smoking age, Bloomington Holiday JAMboree, World AIDS Day Ceremony of Celebration and Remembrance

morning rundown site.jpg

A College Cup berth is on the line when IU men's soccer plays Michigan State 

Senior defender Grant Lillard goes to head the ball against New Hampshire in the third round of the NCAA tournament at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated New Hampshire, 2-1, to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament against Michigan State.
Senior defender Grant Lillard goes to head the ball against New Hampshire in the third round of the NCAA tournament at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated New Hampshire, 2-1, to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament against Michigan State. Bobby Goddin

IU men’s soccer plays Michigan State at 7 p.m. tonight at Bill Armstrong Stadium in the NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament quarterfinals. The Hoosiers haven’t reached a College Cup, the NCAA Tournament’s semifinal round, since the 2012 season. IU won the national championship that season. Read more here.

Chamber of Commerce plan looks to drop high Indiana smoking rates

Then-freshman James Freeborn smokes a cigarette near the smokers' table outside of Wright Quadrangle in 2014. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce wants to raise Indiana’s smoking age from 18 to 21 in 2018.
Then-freshman James Freeborn smokes a cigarette near the smokers' table outside of Wright Quadrangle in 2014. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce wants to raise Indiana’s smoking age from 18 to 21 in 2018. IDS file photo

The Indiana Chamber of Commerce wants to raise Indiana’s smoking age from 18 to 21 as part of a four-part proposal in its 2018 legislative agenda.The other three arms of the proposal include increasing the tobacco tax on cigarettes by $1.50 to be $2.50 a pack, increasing funding for cessation programs to quit smoking and repealing the Smoker’s Bill of Rights. The Smoker's Bill of Rights is a 1991 law that keeps employers from screening for smokers before hiring. Read more here. 

Bloomington Holiday JAMboree fundraises for Hoosier Hills Food Bank

Student performers and artists will gather for one evening to perform in a benefit concert raising money and collecting goods entirely for the Hoosier Hills Food Bank of Bloomington.

The goal of this benefit concert, titled the Bloomington Holiday JAMboree, is to get as many canned food items and monetary donations as possible during this extremely busy time for the Hoosier Hills Food Bank, according to a press release from the Bloomington Holiday JAMboree. Read more here.

World AIDS Day Ceremony celebrates, remembers those affected by the disease

The Quarryland Men's Chorus performs at the World AIDS Day ceremony of remembrance in 2017. The 12th annual ceremony was presented Thursday evening by the Community AIDS Action Group of South Central Indiana.
The Quarryland Men's Chorus performs at the World AIDS Day ceremony of remembrance in 2017. The 12th annual ceremony was presented Thursday evening by the Community AIDS Action Group of South Central Indiana. Sam House

The World AIDS Day Ceremony of Celebration and Remembrance brought together community members in honoring the lives that have been and are affected by HIV/AIDS.

Around 30 people gathered in the Fountain Square Mall Ballroom from 5:30 to 7 p.m. for a candlelight remembrance, a performance by the Quarryland Men’s Chorus and the presentation of the Celia Busch Making a Difference Award. The award is given annually to someone committed to helping those living with HIV/AIDS. Read more here.