sports   |   cross-country

IU women’s cross-country team qualifies for Nationals

crosscountry1

IU women’s cross-country team members round a corner of the 5k course at the IU Open in Aug. 2017. 2018 Big Ten Conference play begins on Sept. 28 at the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational.  Emily Eckelbarger Buy Photos

The IU women’s cross-country team’s season just got a little longer.

It was announced Saturday night that the women’s team has qualified for the NCAA National Championships on Nov. 18 in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Hoosiers qualified as one of 13 teams to earn an at-large bid to the championships after not qualifying as one of the top two teams at Friday’s Great Lakes Regional Championships in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Michigan and Michigan State were the two team qualifiers from the regional.

IU 's performance Friday still played a big part in its at-large selection as the Hoosiers had strong performances from junior Katherine Receveur, who won the women’s 6K with a time of 20:34.9, Maggie Allen who ran one of her best races of the year with an 18th-place finish and Brenna Calder, who finished 25th overall.

This will be the first Nationals appearance for the women’s program since the 2013 season. That year IU finished 26th overall as a team.

Although the men’s team did not qualify this year, they will be represented at Nationals by sophomore Ben Veatch. Veatch qualified as an individual with his fourth-place finish in Terre Haute with a time of 31:01.3 in the 10K.

Murphy Wheeler

More in Sports