Morgan Ellison wins his second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor for IU football

Freshman running back Morgan Ellison celebrates his first-half touchdown against Rutgers with freshman offensive lineman Mackenzie Nworah on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium. Ellison was named the co-Freshman of the Week in the Big Ten Conference for his rushing performance against the Scarlet Knights. 

IU freshman running back Morgan Ellison was named co-Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Monday for his performance in IU's 41-0 win over Rutgers, the conference announced.

Ellison, who shared this week's award with Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor, has now been won the honor twice this season. It was Ellison's second career 100-yard rushing performance as he picked up 149 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

Two freshman running backs for IU led the way during Saturday's rain-soaked game in Bloomington. Redshirt freshman Cole Gest also ran for a touchdown and more than 100 yards.

Ellison has received at least six carries in each game so far this season, and currently has 688 rushing yards on 134 attempts, which is good for a 5.1 yards per carry average. In addition, Ellison has become one of IU's best red zone threats with six rushing touchdowns.

IU will head to Purdue on Saturday in what will be Ellison's first Old Oaken Bucket game as the Hoosiers will try to reach bowl eligibility for the third consecutive season.

Jake Thomer