Monday rundown: IUMS advances, plan to roll back net neutrality, The Weather Station to perform, new major bridges gap

morning rundown site.jpg

Clinical performance pushes men’s soccer past New Hampshire

Junior midfielder Francesco Moore makes a penalty kick against New Hampshire in the third round of the NCAA tournament Saturday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated New Hampshire, 2-1, to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament against Michigan State.
Junior midfielder Francesco Moore makes a penalty kick against New Hampshire in the third round of the NCAA tournament Saturday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated New Hampshire, 2-1, to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament against Michigan State. Bobby Goddin

Saturday night’s 2-1 win by the IU men’s soccer team advanced the Hoosiers into the quarterfinals of the NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament. It’s the first time since 2012 that IU has reached this stage of the competition. Read more here.

FCC chair announces plan to roll back net neutrality

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Varadaraj Pai testifies on Wednesday, July 19, before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. 
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Varadaraj Pai testifies on Wednesday, July 19, before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.  Tribune News Service

Net neutrality, a series of regulations which made the internet coverage a public utility, is under attack by the Trump administration. Federal Communications Commission chair Ajit Pai said in a release on Nov. 21 the current approach has failed and the government needs to stop micromanaging the internet. Other internet groups may not agree. Read more here.

Q&A: Tamara Lindeman's The Weather Station, to perform at the Blockhouse

entweatherstation.jpg
Tamara Lindeman is the creator of the Canadian music project "The Weather Station." She and her band will make their Bloomington debut on Dec. 1 at the Blockhouse Bar. Courtesy Photo

Tamara Lindeman is the creator of the Canadian music project the Weather Station. She and her band will make their Bloomington debut Dec. 1 at the Blockhouse Bar. Read more here.

New major bridges gap between liberal arts and business

calamp_web.jpg
The Liberal Arts and Management Program building is located on Fess Avenue. A new honors management and human organization program combining LAMP and Kelley School of Business classes will be available May 2018.  Rose Bythrow

The College of Arts and Sciences will offer a new major stemming from the Liberal Arts and Management Program, which is an existing honors program that connects liberal arts with the Kelley School of Business.

The management and human organization major, which will be available for registration in May 2018, provides students more access to classes than the selective existing program, which only accepts 60-80 students to work toward the honors certificate, LAMP Director Rebecca Spang said. Read more here.