sports cross-country

Receveur wins second straight Big Ten Athlete of the Week award

Junior Katherine Receveur runs during the Sam Bell Invitational on Sept. 30, 2017, at the IU Championship Cross Country Course. 

IU’s Katherine Receveur has done it again.

After her dominating first-place finish at last Saturday's the Sam Bell Invitational in Bloomington, the reigning all-American junior was named the Big Ten athlete of the week for women’s cross-country for the second straight week. These are the first two times she has received the award in her career.

Not only was Receveur’s performance recognized by the Big Ten, it was also a historic run for IU. With her time of 20:14.08, Receveur set a new women’s 6k record for the IU Championship Cross-Country Course. She finished 21 seconds ahead of her nearest competitor.

Receveur has gotten off to a more than impressive start to the 2017 season, as she has only raced twice this year and earned the Big Ten athlete of the week award for both performances. 

The first came after the Coast to Coast Battle in Beantown at Boston College on Sept. 22. There, she finished second overall in the women’s 5k with a time of 17:03. 

The Big Ten Championships on Oct. 29 are looming for the IU cross-country teams. 

With the meet being held in Bloomington this year, Receveur could be considered the early favorite to win this year’s women’s race. In last season’s championship held at Minnesota, she finished second overall as a sophomore with a time of 21:02.5 in the 6k race.

Last year’s Big Ten champion, Erin Finn of Michigan, has since graduated, leaving the door wide open for Receveur to be in contention to be this year’s champion. 

Murphy Wheeler