academics & research world

Law school sends delegation to Saudi Arabia

cisaudi.jpg

A delegation from the Maurer School of Law recently completed a trip to Saudi Arabia, where it met with Saudi royalty and visited law departments of the gulf country's major universities, according to an IU press release.

The group, which included law school dean and professor Austen Parrish, attended a dinner hosted by Prince Mansour bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, a grandson of Saudi Arabia's founder and first leader, King Abdulaziz. The prince visited IU last year, and there is an ongoing partnership between the University and King Saud University.

cisaudiarabia.jpg
Maurer School of Law Dean Austen Parrish and his colleagues pose with members of Saudi Arabia's royal family. A delegation led by Parrish recently returned from a week-long trip to the gulf nation.  Courtesy Photo

The partnership was organized by IU President Michael McRobbie and King Saud University President Badran al-Omar in 2014. According to the release from IU, the two schools are working on an agreement which would allow the Saudi school's master's and doctoral students of law to visit the Bloomington campus.

There are two IU Alumni Association chapters in Saudi Arabia — one in Jeddah and one in Riyadh, the nation's capital.

"We were honored by the hospitality of our Saudi hosts, especially His Royal Highness Prince Mansour bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, and their enthusiasm for Indiana University and the law school," Parrish said in the release. "I am especially grateful to the kindness of our alumni, particularly Professors Othman Talbi and Faisal al-Wazzab, who warmly welcomed us and went above and beyond to make this a productive trip." 

Jesse Naranjo