student life

Greek councils organize Safe Halloween event

trick2.jpg

North Jordan Avenue was filled with dinosaurs, princesses and superheroes, all saying “Trick-or Treat!” in hopes to receive some candy. Hundreds of families came to trick-or-treat at the annual Safe Halloween event.

This annual event is organized by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Multicultural Greek Council, Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council. Every greek council on campus helps to fund and organize this event.

The houses on North Jordan played Halloween themed music while greek participants wore costumes and handed out candy. Zeta Tau Alpha member Cassie Dyar said she loves this event because of the community involvement.

“I think this event is really important because it gives the greek organizations a chance to interact with the Bloomington community,” said Dyar. “From what I’ve seen so far, this event is going really well.”

The excitement of the greek members for the Bloomington community to come was matched by the excitement of several children from the community. Tri-North Middle School student Hannah Maners said she was excited to come. 

“Well, I am excited to get candy, but we also wanted to come to IU,” Maners said. “Getting candy and being at IU is so fun.”

Maners, along with her brother Jackson Koontz and friend Zoey Harding, said they were mostly excited to get candy, but their guardian, Brittany Maners, said otherwise. 

“They said they wanted to come to check out cute boys, not get candy,” Brittany said. “Before we left, they just said over and over again that they want to check out cute boys and girls more than anything.”

Safe Halloween is sponsored by several companies including, IU Credit Union, Plato’s Closet, Henderson Orthodontics and Regency Apartments. Along with this event being run by all of the greek councils on campus, local radio stations, WBWBB97 and WHCC Hoosier Country 105.1 participated in this event by playing music and handing out candy.

This annual event helped kick-off Bloomington’s Halloween celebration. This was the first free Halloween-related event in Bloomington, and the only on-campus community event.

There is Downtown Trick-or-Treat offered Oct. 27 from 5-8 p.m. and a Not-So-Scary-Halloween Party at Banneker Community Center on the same day from 5:30-7:30 p.m. for families to prepare for Halloween next Tuesday.