sports field hockey

Field hockey stops five-game losing streak

iufh5_web.jpg

IU field hockey dropped another road game this past weekend before coming home to defeat Ohio and improve its record to 6-8.

The first game the Hoosiers played was on the road against No. 10 Northwestern of the Big Ten Conference. 

IU upset a ranked Northwestern team the past two season, but this year's game in Evanston, Illinois, didn't go according to the same script as those matches.

The Hoosiers lost, 4-1, to Northwestern on Friday afternoon to complete a five-game road trip. IU lost all five games away from Bloomington.  

Northwestern scored three unanswered goals against IU before the Hoosiers finally scored via junior forward Claire Woods' goal in the 63rd minute. The goal was later cancelled out by Northwestern later in the second half.

IU was outshot, 21-6, in the match and outnumbered in shots on goal, 13-2. The loss dropped IU to 0-4 this season in conference play.

The Hoosiers returned home Sunday afternoon to the IU Field Hockey Complex to play against Mid-American Conference opponent Ohio University.  

IU broke its five-game skid with a 3-2 win against the Bobcats.

The Hoosiers got contributions from junior midfielder Taylor Swope, sophomore forward Kelsey Giese and sophomore midfielder Ciara Girouard. 

Each of these three players netted a goal in the win for IU. 

“The team's been so hungry for a win," IU Coach Amanda Janney said. "It’s good for us to see our hard work show on the scoreboard."

Swope also earned the game ball Sunday as she was all over the field making contributions for IU.

'We had some brilliant moments of strong play from so many different players," Janney said. 

IU will play Michigan at 3 p.m. Friday and Michigan State at 11:50 a.m. Sunday. Both games will be at the IU Field Hockey Complex.