politics education

Coalition to look at future of special education in DeVos era

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos listens as President Trump speaks during a strategic and policy discussion with CEOs April 11 in Washington, D.C. After the Department of Education announced changes to sexual misconduct guidance, a group of more than 40 students and alumni signed a letter to IU President Michael McRobbie, asking the University “stand with survivors and show the country that this university cares about its students.”

Special education will be examined Thursday night in Monroe County.

The Indiana Coalition for Public Education is holding a forum on special education in new Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos' administration. 

The conversation will put stakeholders — parents, children and educators — all in one room from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday at the Monroe County Public Library. 

They will discuss topics including advocating for children who need programs in the classroom, giving families resources inside and outside of the school system and certifying special education teachers, according to a release from the ICPE. 

According to data from the National Center for Education in 2010, 15.2 percent of students in Indiana are children with disabilities and require special education. 

Speakers at the panel will include Kathrina Cox, a special education teacher in the Monroe County Community School Corporation, Janet Decker, professor of educational leadership and policy studies in the IU School of Education and Paula Teague, a regional program specialist with IN*Source, a parent organization that provides training and information to the state of Indiana. 

After the discussion, they will move into a moderated question and answer with the audience.

Katelyn Haas