City to temporarily shut water off for some south Bloomington locations Wednesday

Water service to some southside City of Bloomington Utility customers will be shut off for repairs from approximately 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday. The water shut-off will allow workers to connect the water main to existing pipes for repairs on a 12-inch water main along Church Lane on the south side of Bloomington. 

Water service to some southside City of Bloomington Utility customers will be shut off for repairs  from approximately 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, according to a release from the city.

The city has been in the process of replacing a 12-inch water main along Church Lane on the south side of Bloomington. The water shut-off will allow workers to connect the main to existing pipes. 

The water main services Bloomington and other parts of southern Monroe County. Those affected by the temporary lapse in water service will receive a notice from the city prior to Wednesday's repairs. Traffic will be narrowed to one lane on Rogers Avenue near Church Lane Wednesday.

“This type of infrastructure replacement causes temporary inconveniences, but, over time, our customers will experience improved and more reliable water delivery,” Utilities Department director Vic Kelson said in the release. 

According to the city, more than 75 percent of the city's water mains are at least 50 years old, and some date back to 1910. Mains with a history of problems get priority for replacement, and according to the city, the main in question has had four breaks in the past two years.

Jesse Naranjo